Monday, June 25, 2012

Working With A Straight Pair Of Knitting Needles To Make A Hat.

 Hats Hats HATS!
Before I tried doing this method myself I thought making a hat with knitting needles would be pretty difficult but it turned out to be very easy. Even though a lot of hat patterns call for a circular needle, due to the fact that I don't have one, I still see a straight needle as my preference.

For those who are just now trying to make hats on a straight needle here is how it pretty much goes.

 To get started you should cast on as many stitches as you're  going to need for your hat. Then depending on whether you decide to use stockinette stitch all the way through or whether you decide to do a brim at the beginning then work in your stockinette stitch, you're going to continue working on your rows.

 Once you have a good portion of the piece done and you happen to be in the the middle of the row that you're working on,  you can  put your knitting needles together to get an idea as to how the hat is going to look.

When you reach your desired length after measuring your fabric with measuring tape you will then start to decrease your work on the knit side little by little.

Then you will start the process of decreases your work on the knit side then purl across on the other side.


As you can start to see the hat is finally starting to take its' shape.

I tend to decrease until you have around 3 stitches or so then I'll start removing my work from the knitting needle.  But that's just me.

Side A


Side B.  This  is the side that you will sew your seam together:->  Sorry for the blurry picture.

Turn your work inside out and start sewing your seam together!!

Your seam will look something like this.

Turn your work ride side out and All Done!
Now I know that this picture doesn't show my best work but this is the basic technique you can try to make a simple beanie for a baby, small child or adult.

Hope that this was some kind of help to some of you.


Be Blessed & Be Inspired!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment