Thursday, November 8, 2012

Okay Mermaid cape is somewhat figured out.




So I Figured out the main part of the cape but I'm still trying to figure out how the fin is crocheted so I'm just going to share the actual tail with you for now.  Now I'm not sure if this is the exact pattern to how other people have crocheted this but this is how I figured it out.

*You will need the yarn of your choice.  I used Redheart for my first time around and I'm using Lionbrand homespun  this time around.  I recommend using a yarn that isn't homespun that way it'll be easier for you to see the stitches.
*Size J crochet hook
 
 Redheart Super Saver yarn
When working on your foundation row be sure to check that you have an odd number of 2dc groups that way you'll know that your work will come out properly.  I'll post a video so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Crocodile Stitch - How To Crochet

Follow this video to help you with the stitch.  Just know that the person in the video using 6 stitches for their project and I use three.

*You are going to be working from the bottom up so please keep that in mind.  This is where your first crocodile stitch is made.*

*Beginning crocodile stitch= 4dc working down first post, ch1, turn, 5dc working upward around second post.
*Crocodile stitch= 5dc working down post, ch1, turn, 5 dc working upward.


R1) To get started i made a slip not put the crocheting needle through and made three chains, turned my work, and made two dc in second ch from hook.


R2) *Foundation row* Ch3 and work beginning crocodile, turn work and work crocodile stitch,  turn work, ch3,(One Scale Made)

R3) Turn Work one dc  on top of the dc post you made earlier, ch1, 2dc in crocodile stitch, ch1 2dc on top of dc post ch3 (Three dc pairs)

R4) Turn, work beginning crocodile stitch in first post, ch1 turn, work crocodile stitch in next post, turn, ch1, skip next 2dc, work crocodile stitch in next post, ch1, turn work crocodile stitch, ch3 (Two Scales Made)

Note:  Every time you want to increase the number of crocodile stitches Always work two dc on the top of the post of the first and last crocodile stitch.  I'll Instruct you on two more rows and then you should be able to get the gist from there.  On one project I increased my work until I got a total of seven scales and on the other I increased till I got 8.

R5) Turn, work dc on top of dc post, ch1 2dc in the middle of crocodile stitch, ch1 2 dc in the middle of two dc and over ch1 sp, ch1 2dc in the middle of crocodile stitch, ch1 2 dc in the middle of two dc and over ch1 sp, ch1 work 2dc in the middle of crocodile stitch, ch1, 2 dc on top of dc post. (five dc pairs)

R6) Turn, work beginning crocodile stitch, ch1, skip next 2dc, work crocodile stitch, ch1, skip next 2dc, work crocodile stitch in last 2dc, ch3 and turn. (Three Scales made)

Once you get to your desired number of scales from there on the number of scales will increase and decrease by one
Example: Desired number of scales is 8, the next row should be 7, then the next row will be 8, then the row after that will be 7 and so on and so forth.
  
For my homespun version Once you get to R13) Ch3, dc on top of post, *ch1 dc in the middle of crocodile stitch, ch1, 2 dc in the middle of two dc and over ch1* sp, repeat from* all the way across.

R14) Turn, ch3 work beginnging crocodile, *ch1, sk next two dc, work crocodile stitch in next set* repeat from * all the way across. sl st in last crocodile stitch made (Seven scales)

R15)Turn, ch3 dc in same space, *ch1, 2 dc in the middle of two dc and over ch1 sp, ch1, 2dc in between crocodile stitch* repeat from* all the way across (13 dc Pairs)

R16) Turn, ch1, skip the first pair and crocodile stitch in the second dc pair, *ch1, sk next pair, crocodile stitch in next pair* repeat from* to end.

repeat these two rows until desired length. 

To finish the top I work between 3-5 rows of hdc but you can do whatever you feel like doing.

I'll be back to update this particular blog so I can explain this a little better but I wanted to at least get something out there for you.


Now no one else has tested out what I've written except for myself so if there are any mistakes PLEASE let me know so I can fix them and if there is any confusion write me and I will get back to you to help you with anything that you are having trouble.  Will be back to post the mermaid top and headband and/or crown and the updated version of the fin.. 



Be Blessed & Be Inspired!!



No comments:

Post a Comment