Thursday, April 18, 2013

Oh no she didn't go there!

Okay people how ya'll doing?  So I was watching my daily dose of youtube.com and came across an interesting video that was entitled "Realisitic Expectations for 4c(coarse) Hair"  and felt compelled to watch it because I too have that hair type. So once I started looking at it the person who was in the video started making points that I did NOT agree with at all.  I disagreed with her SO MUCH too the point to where it was almost comical for me.

So what are some of the points that had me just saying "WHAT?!" out loud?  Lol  okay the first thing that she pointed out that us 4c women cannot do is rock a wash and go.  SPEAK FOR YOURSELF WOMAN OKAY lol.  Now I'm just here speaking for me so if you don't agree then it's all good but this 4c woman here rocked an awesome fro-tastic wash and go both with and without gel and I rocked it FIERCELY.  Now if I expect my wash and go to come out looking like someone elses wash and go that has  looser curls or waves than my own, then yes that's an expectation that is just unrealistic for myself.  She also pointed out that with the wash and go comes a lot of tangles and although that this fact may be true for  A LOT of other women, it isn't true for myself so there it is.
My wash and go with gel.  Yup I did it:-)  I almost want to kick myself for not taking a picture of my soft wash and go(w&g without gel)






Another point she made that I did NOT agree with was that us 4c gals cannot rock a protective hair style for a week due to moisturizing issues.  Now yes this may not pertain to some but for others who do have issues with keeping your hair moisturized throughout the week while your hair is in it's protective hair style, there are countless moisturizing sprays and creams and what not that can be used on your hair to moisturize your hair while its up in it's protective hair style for the week so there you go!  Before I washed my hair throughout the week and my mom hand my hair in a protective hair style for the week I would use the braid spray to help moisturize the parts of my hair that I couldn't easily get to due to my hair style.  So if you're having an issue with staying moisturized while in your protective hair style there's a possible solution for you.  It worked for me:-)

One final thing that I just did NOT like (lol sorry) was the statement about how blow drying/flat ironing/pressing the hair is a no no for our hair.  Now yes when you OVER USE the heat, have the heat way too hot for your hair, and /or you're not putting anything on your hair to protect itself from the heat then YES my dear you and your hair are going to have a problem. But if you aren't over doing it on the heat for one, and your not putting extreme heat to your hair AND your using a heat protectant to your hair then blow drying your hair or straightening it on occasion is not a bad thing at all.  It kinda boiled my blood a little bit when she even went to say that 4c women should just get over their shrinkage, stop the blow drying and except there hair for what it is.  AND although yes I do agree that EVERYONE should except there hair for what their hair is, including myself, some people just aren't ready to rock their hair without any heat so who are we to say what other people should or should not do with their hair? Now please understand that I know that over using heat can damage the hair but if you're using the COOL air to dry and stretch your hair, then it might take you a little bit longer to get the job done but hey at least you were able to get the job done.

.

If blow drying their hair a little bit just to get their hair stretched out a smidge is going to make themselves feel confident and amazing then who are we to knock that down?  I'm just trying to bring some sort of balance to what I watched because, yes she had some good points but there just wasn't enough balance to me. 

I'm only saying this because there was once a time to when my shrinkage REALLY bothered me and I'm thankful that I'm finally moving past that but everyone isn't there yet so I think that people need to be more mindful and sensitive to that.  Just because you may be in this awesome confident state in your life doesn't mean that everyone else is going to be there or get there as soon as you as well.  Geesh.
And don't get me started on what she said about hair coloring lol.  Lord help me.

Anywhoo I just wanted to express MY feelings about MY 4c hair and if you happen to disagree with me then that's totally fine. Like I said I just felt like I needed to bring some balance.  Okay that's all I gotta get ready for church so be blessed!!


No comments:

Post a Comment